Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Complicated

I would love to say that we had a FABULOUS night, that we played, that we laughed, that we got to bed way too late, simply because we were enjoying our time together.  Unfortunately, fairy tales don't exist and our lives are not anywhere near their perfection so tonight was less than amazing.  The majority of it was my fault because, let's get real here, after you cut your hair only to discover that you look exactly like you did when you were 12, it's just not the best start to an evening.  So the hubs took the lead, told me that "It's not terrible" and ran into town to grab supper.  (12 yr olds can't cook remember?)

We bathed our bunnies...


and then settled in for some "Fancy Nancy."


This is were things became complicated...you see not only am I Grace's mom but I am also Grace's teacher meaning that she hears at home in the morning, at school during the day, at home in the afternoon, and during the evening.  We are with one another pretty much ALL day and although this is a TRUE blessing most of the time.  Times like tonight make it hard.  Grace has been taught to read phonetically so her arsenal of sight words is small but rapidly expanding as she becomes more fluent.  She however, does not realize this and tries to breeze through books inserting, skipping, ad libbing, whatever it takes to not have to actually READ the word.  I think if I didn't see her at school and know the actual skill set that she has then this wouldn't bother me but it drives me NUTS!  Everything takes 12 (yes, I know stuck on that number again) times longer than it should because we have to read each word over and over again. 

 See, even Faith was over it.




As we both became more and more frustrated I realized that this was not what 30 to play was about so we called it a night.  I guess it dawned on me that 30 minutes simply for the sake of 30 minutes is pointless.  To enjoy the time we have together is much more important and somehow I am going to have to turn off the teacher and just be mom for her sake and for mine. 



Apparently, "Ninnie" is one of the girls too. 


No comments:

Post a Comment