Sunday, January 30, 2011

LOVES

I attended a conference last June and during a session that covered the essence of teaching the speaker stated "Your students will love what you love.  They will hate what you hate.  And that truth applies to your children as well, perhaps even more so."  That comment struck me and ever since I have become very aware of those things that I do love and that I should love. 

I have seen the truth of the statment within the classroom.  If I am excited about a text than my students are too.  If I am dreading it, they do as well, before even reading a page.  But the struggle to implement a love of those things with eternal importance has been difficult at home.  After finishing "Revolutionary Parenting" by George Barna it finally dawned on me that, just as I was being intentional with regards to my attitude in class, so I must be at home. 

I began allowing Grace to sit with me as I completed my devotions in the morning and soon after she asked for a devotion of her own.  I began searching the internet for something age appropriate but also mind stretching and I came upon Sarah Young's "Jesus Calling." 


The devotions are short (perfect for a 5yr old) and insightful, always providing scriptural references for the topic being covered.  Grace has learned all of the books of the Bible in school so part of the challenge is for her to figure out whether the reference is from the New or Old Testament.  She does amazingly well and it is reenforcing the knowledge on a daily basis. 

I also started truly listening to the music that was being played in our vehicles and home because there is always something on.  I have a habit of tuning things out and focusing on the beat instead so the lyrics have not been of import.  That is until I heard Grace singing things that would have made me blush in public. After reading a fellow blogger's rave I ordered this

   
And although it obviously is not played 24/7 it has been listened to the point that even Faith will "sing" the tunes.  Never before have I had a CD calm me as this one does.  Even at school, if the little's are having a rough day.  This CD starts to play and within moments a wave of peace has flooded our room. 

I am still trying to figure out how to reconcile the rest of my loves and those things that I want my girls to love

I still love Gilmore Girls and chocolate, sewing and blogging, but most of all I love my God and my family.  My actions need to display that.

I was talking with one of my colleagues about this very subject and he told me a story about his niece.  One day she was asked to draw a picture of her momma.  So she did with her sitting on the couch with her laptop in hand.  I laughed and asked him if she was a graphic artist.  He sadly shook his no and replied that she was a stay at home mom. 

The problem wasn't the computer, the problem was that that was the only way she saw her momma, that was what she felt her momma loved. 

How would your children draw you?

No comments:

Post a Comment