Monday, January 31, 2011

F


On my journey to lead a "thanks" filled life I knew that there would be tests.  What I didn't realize it how soon they would come and how badly I would fail.

This morning I woke up, readied the girls for school, set out their breakfast, and then went to get ready myself.  Not five minutes later Grace came running into the bathroom to tell me that she had spilt her milk...yet again.  You see that situation wasn't placed into "THANKFUL" lightly, spills are an everyday occurrence in our household. 
 As I ran to evaluate the damage done I kept repeating "Just be thankful, just be thankful" and at first glance I was.  It didn't seem bad at all...until I looked down.  Milk COVERED the floor and I lost it. 

By the time the mess was cleaned up and the dishes were put away we were both in tears.  Grace, because she was in trouble.  Me, because I was in trouble.  The Lord was already dealing with my heart and I knew that I would need to ask for Grace's forgiveness.  The offense didn't warrant the response at all.  

So as I held my little girl in my arms, we discussed what had taken place and what would have been a better way to handle the situation.  Her arms wrapped tightly around my neck I asked for her to forgive me.  She said yes with tear stained cheeks and asked me to forgive her as well.  She summed the whole mess up in just 11 words.  "I shouldn't have spilled the milk, you shouldn't have gotten angry."

Even though the mess is cleaned up and the tears have been wiped away, this morning's "stuff" is still on my mind.  If I cannot be thankful over something as trivial as spilled milk how will I ever be able to praise God through the truly rough times?  Perhaps more than anything this morning illustrated that the eyes of my heart will determine the thanks from my mouth.  Therefore in order to live a thanks filled life I must first see with a thanks filled heart.  

"Lord, I want to see." Luke 18:41

1 comment:

  1. Mornings are hard around here... I know I've prayed and planned and cried and tried all sorts of different things to make mornings work well in this house. But the truth of the matter is that none of us are morning people. We are all at our absolute worst for the first thirty minutes of the day, and that has always bugged me. I always wanted to be one of those people that gets up and throws back the curtains and sings "This is the Day the Lord Has Made" while my children wake up all bright and shiny. The reality is that hair has knots, breath stinks, no one knows what they want for breakfast, shoes are no where to be found and things get spilled. At some point in the recent past, I found a way to let it all go. Like, we're going to be late whether I yell or not, so I might as well just go start the car while Tyler looks for his hoodie. I think your headed to a great place with your girls but don't be discouraged if it doesn't come naturally..... after all, it's grace you're talking about... we are who God made us to be and our reactions are a part of that. Not saying that we're entitled to bad behavior, but we're certainly not exempt. I think you hit on the most important thing though- apologizing. Too many parents won't even admit that they do and say things to their kids that would be inexcusable if done or said to a human being that they didn't give birth to... your girls are learning from you how to be a great mom. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete