Monday, January 17, 2011

It's About Time...

Today was one of "those" days were my list of to do's was much longer than my list of got dones.  I don't know about anyone else but that frustrates me to no end.  I struggled with feeling as though the day was wasted simply due to the fact that not everything was crossed off.  As I sat folding yet another load of laundry (I am still staring at one, my daily limit is 5) it dawned on me that many of the items on my list were wants not needs.  I wanted to make a case for my Kindle, I wanted to get Faith's cow and Grace's sock monkey made, I wanted to take a nap...none of those wants were in and of themselves bad.  However, when they stressed me to the point of snapping, perhaps it was time to distinguish the difference between what needed to be done and what I wanted to get done.  

After wrestling with the perfectionist that perches on my shoulder and tries to convince me that sleep is a luxury not a necessity, I came to the conclusion that there are very little needs in my life.  
  • I need to spend time in God's word.
  • I need to spend quality time with my husband.
  • I need to spend time with my girls every, single day.
Now I realize that that is probably a bit simplistic.  I mean we need clean clothes and we need food on the table but when I really took a look at the ways I was spending my time, I wasn't spending it, I was wasting it, on "things" that have no eternal significance.  My girls won't remember that our house was always clean or  that dinner was on the table at 5:30pm (ha) but they will remember whether or not their mom thought that they were important enough to put all of those things aside to just play. 

So tonight my list is left undone but my heart is full because instead of tackling another task we played.... 




and as I looked at the joy that was so evident on the girl's faces as they moved their little men around the board I felt like the Lord was whispering "See Bethany, it's about time..."

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE THIS IDEA....It remindes you that the mess, or your to do list, will always be the same the next day, but your kids will be a day older and that is a day you can never get back :)

    ReplyDelete